Common people mostly have fickle minds; they’re always guided by what they want to believe, often with their advantage. When they’re worried, frightened and clueless about the long run they’re most vulnerable to doubt and conspiracy theories. The past six months people all over the globe are very disturbed by the COVID 19 pandemic, not really much due to the deadly aftereffects of the virus than the restrictions and lock-downs derailing normal life it has introduced its wake. They desperately need certainly to get back to the sweet normal times and live happily ever after, and therefore they jump to just accept and believe fully when some motivated souls offer that’COVID 19 is a hoax, it’s nothing more than a’annual influenza ‘. Thus the’doubt virus’is established and the social media as always helps it spread-at times much faster than the killer virus. Probably the basic impulses for skepticism stem from the important points that over 807 of Coronavirus positive cases are mild in nature and recover easily, only older people with co-morbidity are most vulnerable and that normally the death rate is low at 1 to 4% except for many countries. However, facts also reveal that the dead includes young people too and anyone can be infected using this most contagious virus.
The conspiracy theories originated in the United States, as always, where extraordinarily’democratic’sections of the citizens opposed the lockdown and restrictions from the beginning symbolizing these with the’agenda’of President Trump. Several conspiracy theories linking even the tragic murder of George Floyd started doing the rounds in the US which we will not make an outline here just to stop vulnerable minds go through and inculcate doubts. We’d only like to mention here that writer got a social media forward giving a connect to an article by some’enlightened soul’who took pains of great arguments to’prove’that the pandemic is just a’political hoax ‘. As we mentioned earlier a lot of vulnerable people got influenced by this, and none other than the usual medical surgeon of the Indian state of Assam who even lodged a FIR alleging that only a’annual influenza’has been defined as a pandemic and he wanted action contrary to the concerned governments. This, naturally, created a chain of reactions in their state driving news channels asking the hapless common people about their’doubts’on the COVID 19 infections rather than destroying the dilemma.
Now, this’annual influenza’theory breaks down at the essential premise itself: if that is so then this phenomenon must certanly be occurring every year, and why then in 2010 must be so different! Governments do not need to have gone on a crisis drive to generate more and more healthcare facilities including ICU beds merely to tackle an annual event of flu. Then come the experiences of numerous affected countries and governments tackling this’annual influenza’some which we narrate below as arguments to break such types of fake and motivated views:
1. Let us take the example of the Chinese experiment. Ignoring a lot of conspiracy theories about China itself we just ask here why would China need absolute authoritarian measures to tackle the virus (well, even annual influenza is the result of a virus) when it comes to continuous lockdown and rigorous enforcement โควิด 19. After being successful in keeping the infected numbers below 100,000 the country continues to be fearing a second outbreak, and risking its economic downswing again to stop its spread. Its aggression against India can be explained as a part of its apparent desperation. An annual flu cannot explain these.
2. Why would countries like UK, Italy, Spain, France, USA and Brazil suffer so much from an annual influenza that killed over fifty percent a million so far and continues to be on its deadly prowls? Why would Italy reduce itself to circumstances of helplessness with dead bodies of Corona patients littered everywhere or why would a German finance minister commit suicide over Corona worries? How one would be to take into account a death rate of over 14% (seen in a few countries) for an annual influenza virus?
3. Why would the doctors and experts of the World Health Organization carry on telling’lies’that the newest Coronavirus is very dangerous that will probably stay for more than couple of years and the worst is yet in the future despite whatever campaigns or actions going on or taken against it? We seemed to have accepted in the beginning that pandemic is the largest crisis ever faced by humankind. Now, why have second thoughts and doubts?
4. Why would countries across the world carry on taking huge risks for an economic crash with unprecedented unemployment and pave the way in which for a recession possibly even worse than the Great Depression? In particular, why a developing country and a most promising upcoming world power like India should risk whatever it has achieved in development so far.
5. Why is this kind of mad rush all over the globe to fast-track production of a vaccine against only an annual flu? At least this kind of intensive medical research cannot mask an invisible agenda whatever that could be.
Within the last few couple of days new cases in India have now been rising at nearly 25000 daily with the only real solace that daily recoveries increasing steadily and the death rate is fortunately still low; the concern being fully a rising positivity rate indicating community transmission. Only at that crucial juncture we should not pay heed to conspiracy theories and fake news. Such theories have obvious goals: to generate publicity for unknown persons or groups or to create a kill when it comes to profit. As an example, if a link for an article with sensational and terrifying headlines gets circulated across social media and motivated media outlets think of the sort of clicks being generated which directly translate into money.Read More